What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an innovative orthodontic treatment designed to straighten your teeth. In the past, straightening teeth with orthodontics has been achieved with conventional braces, but Invisalign provides a clear alternative. Invisalign treatment uses a series of custom-made removable aligners to gradually move your teeth to the ideal position.
The Invisalign treatment process
- * Firstly, you must have a consultation with an Invisalign trained dentist to determine your suitability for Invisalign. At this appointment, your dentist will take photos, x-rays and digital scans or a dental impression to help create your treatment plan.
- * These records and the treatment plan formulated by your dentist will then be used to create a customised 3D treatment plan. This will allow you to see what the final positioning of your teeth will be, following the Invisalign treatment. The length of your treatment will also be estimated.
- * If you choose to go ahead, the customised aligners will then be created and given to you. In some cases, small Invisalign attachments will be placed on your teeth to provide extra grip for your aligners. These attachments are made from a tooth coloured filling material and are removed entirely at the completion of your Invisalign treatment.
- * Generally, 3-4 sets of Invisalign retainers are given to you at a time and you must wear them for at least 22 hours a day. They typically require changing every 2 weeks or so.
- * During this period, you’ll be seeing your dentist every 6-8 weeks to monitor your progress and to receive the next set of aligners.
- * After your Invisalign treatment is completed, you may need to continue to use retainers to maintain the new position of your teeth.
Can I straighten my teeth with Invisalign or do I need braces?
Our Invisalign in Shepparton is a suitable treatment option for many orthodontic cases. However, in more complex cases, conventional braces or other orthodontic treatment may be required. Examples of cases where Invisalign may be a suitable treatment option includes if you have crowded teeth, widely spaced teeth, or a mild over bite.
The success of Invisalign treatment is completely dependant on your cooperation with wearing your aligners as often as possible and changing them at the appropriate times. If you are prone to forgetfulness, it might not be the right treatment option for you!
Advantages of Invisalign:
- * Invisalign retainers are removable, so it is very easy to brush and floss your teeth and maintain good oral hygiene throughout the duration of your treatment.
- * Invisalign retainers are clear and if any attachments are placed, they are tooth-coloured, making them very difficult to see. This allows you to maintain a nice white and metal-free smile whilst undergoing Invisalign treatment.
- * Appointments with your dentist are only required every 6-8 weeks.
- * You get to remove your retainers while eating and drinking, which can be more comfortable than eating with braces on
In short, Invisalign is a great alternative to the more traditional braces. If you'd like a consultation, please get in touch with your local Shepparton Dentist today.